One week, and going up. It is the time that several hundred tourists have already been isolated in the hotel H10 Costa Adeje de Tenerife. When it seemed that the situation was beginning to be resolved, with the progressive departure by groups of the first clients since last Friday, a new positive for coronavirus inside the hotel may further delay the resolution of the crisis. And not only that. One of the requirements to let out the remaining 530 tourists still in isolation is that transport to their countries of origin is carried out in the safest way possible, something that, for the moment, only one country (United Kingdom) has achieved 11 affected nationalities.The Ministry of Health of the Government of the Canary Islands has confirmed that the 7 cases of coronavirus identified in this CCAA are in good health and evolve well. But there is an unforeseen: the last positive, known yesterday Monday, is just that of a British tourist guest of the Hotel H10 Costa Adeje.
“This person is already hospitalized and isolated. He was and remains asymptomatic, not part of the initial group of ten Italians where the first case occurred. He entered the hotel on February 23 and the Directorate General of Epidemiology continues to investigate his contacts direct and narrow, “says the Ministry of Health of the Canary Islands. However, tourists consulted still in isolation at the hotel express their concern, since the British who has now tested positive I had spent the last week sharing spaces, meals and day to day with the rest of the people staying at the Costa Adeje.
Several tourists leave today the H10 Costa Adeje hotel by bus. There are still more than 530 left inside. (Reuters)
“This person has not been in isolation. He was and is totally asymptomatic. As usual, he has been having breakfast, lunch and dinner with everyone else, nobody knew anything. The risk of having infected more people is very high“Joachim Walther, a German tourist who has been isolated in the hotel since last Tuesday, February 25, explains to El Confidencial.” We believe that this changes everything and the same now we have to start a quarantine from scratch again, another 14 days here locked up And tomorrow, or after, start over from scratch, because it is almost certain that there will be more positive, “he says.
Asked by this newspaper, a spokesman for the Canarian Government says yesterday’s positive of one of the tourists inside the hotel does not change anything. “We continue with the same protocol. There were 726 tourists, 193 have already left, they are the ones who arrived after the 24th when the Italians were already in isolation. There are about 530 left who, to get out, must fulfill three things: that they are asymptomatic, that they give negative in a test 24 hours before their march and that their countries of origin guarantee a safe transfer from the sanitary point of view, confirming that upon arrival they remain in quarantine at their homes. The latter is what is being more complex to achieve, “he acknowledges. It is a logistic headache that is lengthening the isolation of tourists more than expected. Who pays for medicalized airplanes? How is this transfer organized? Who says they keep quarantine when they get home? Who is responsible if something goes wrong?
One of the tourists isolated in the hotel H10 Costa Adeje de Tenerife. (Reuters)
“We have already written multiple times to the German embassy in Spain, we have spoken with the ambassador and the consuls, begging and explaining that the only way out is to get us out of here by plane. Until yesterday they were half convinced. But now, with the new positive, everything may be delayed again“, explains Joachim. At the moment, the only country that has evacuated its citizens from the hotel is the United Kingdom, whose authorities have negotiated with the operators Jet2, TUI and the Canary Government the return of about a hundred Britons with the group arrived to the hotel after February 24. The rest, more than half a thousand, will have to keep waiting.