In this article, Business Insider may receive a commission on your purchases. More information.
- Now that it’s time to work from home due to the coronavirus, one of the keys to making everything go smoothly is a good internet connection.
- Since everyone is confined to their homes, you may feel that everything is going slower, but there are many tricks to improve the speed of internet connection that you can put into practice.
- You can set schedules, try to improve your WiFi connection or see if your router is infected with some type of malware.
- Discover more stories at Business Insider Spain.
Now that it’s time to be at home due to the confinement caused by the coronavirus, in addition to all the possible moments of disconnection, it’s also time to telework, give and receive classes online, or simply escape by watching a good series or movie, and for this it is essential to have a good internet connection.
Currently, the internet and operators have reached record numbers of traffic from the pandemic. According to data from the Akamai company, which collects the newspaper Expansion, traffic increased on Monday March 16 by 56% compared to the accumulated average of the last 60 days. also, Spain was ranked as the second country in the European Union in data traffic and the sixth in the world.
In this situation it is normal to ask if the network will be able to support all that volume of data. Many companies have implemented various measures to avoid network collapse, and various platforms such as Netflix, Disney Plus or even YouTube have limited the quality of their content so that there is not so much saturation.
Fortunately, the solution to this point is simple. You can always download the content from the streaming platforms and then use Chromecast or Amazon Fire TV to launch the content to television and not lose quality.
Fiber deployment in Spain is above that of other European countries, but the coronavirus is testing the capacity of the connections due to the need to make the most of the network: teleworking, school or simple leisure are just a few examples.
Confinement has made more use of the internet necessary, so it may seem slower, but there are many tricks to improve internet connection speed that you can put into practice.
Read more: How to optimize Google Chrome to surf the Internet faster in 4 different ways
Tricks to improve your wifi connection at home
If you do not want to invest a single euro, there are also many other tricks to improve the connection of your WiFi and have an impact on the speed of Internet connection.
- Avoid objects that may create interference with the router and study carefully where to place it. Materials like wood, metal or glass can slow down the signal and you can achieve up to a 40% increase in signal. Keep in mind that the standard reuter reaches a maximum of 15 or 20 meters, so place it close to where you are going to have the most connection activity.
- Keep your router updated with the latest firmware. It is something that they do automatically, but if there are any problems or notes that are slower than usual, you can do it manually.
- Change the input channel, especially if you live in an apartment. The channel can be very congested, but there are many web pages that will show you how the situation is in your area. Although modern routers change automatically, also configure it manually.
- Distribute the connected devices in the two bands. It is useless to have a dual-band router if all devices are connected to the 2.4 GHz. You must connect the most modern to the 5 GHz, and leave the 2.4 GHz for the oldest, or those furthest from the router, since the 5 GHz band has less range.
- Unlock WiFi whenever you can and choose cable as a priority option.
- Turn off the reuter once in a while and give it about 5-10 minutes to disconnect. Keep in mind that sometimes saturations or errors occur with the switchboard and you will be connected to an old link. This way you will solve the problem and gain speed.
- Aluminum foil or can of beer or soda. Aluminum appears to have been shown to increase the WiFi signal. Many users place aluminum foil around the antennas on the router to improve range. Another quite practical solution is to use a can of beer cut in half.
- Beware of the “freeloading” neighbors. If the internet is slow, the neighbor may be stealing your wifi. With applications like Wireless Network Watcher or the app Fing for iOS and Android you can know if an intruder is connected to your WiFi network. Here you can see how to expel intruders from your WiFi network.
And if nothing works, try to change the router or vitamin it
If you have followed all the steps but your connection has not improved, it is time to think about buying a new router.
There are many better reasons to change the router that your operator provides. You will get more speed, security, more simultaneous connections, and new functions. If you decide to buy a new router, make sure it has the latest technologies.
Another option is to use a WiFi network extender that will allow you to improve coverage in the poorest areas of your home, since it will repeat the signal.
Finally, if you already have one of these gadgets or you are not convinced, you can also pull network cable, since the connection will improve immediately.
What if your computer is old and does not have WiFi or is not compatible with 5GHz networks, much faster? In this situation you need to make the smallest investment, but what better result will give you by far. You need a WiFi USB adapter compatible with 802.11ac networks, such as this 12-euro adapter.
As you can see there are countless ways to improve internet connection speed And although now with confinement you will not be able to reach its maximum effectiveness, you will notice a substantial difference.
In this article, Business Insider receives a commission from its affiliated partners for each purchase you make through the product links that we have included, something that in no case represents an additional cost for you. However, our recommendations are always independent and objective. You can check our affiliate policy here.