EDMONTON – The Alberta public inquiry into whether foreign funds are funding anti-oil protests in Canada will be extended.
Energy Minister Sonya Savage said initial findings from the commissioner of inquiry, Steve Allan, show that more work is needed to complete the final report.
Sonya Savage said the government is extending the deadline for the report to October 30. The original date was July 2.
Also, an additional $ 1 million will be added to the current budget of $ 2.5 million.
The money will come from the Canadian Energy Center budget, described by Prime Minister Jason Kenney as a “war room” used to react and correct “misinformation” about the energy industry. Province.
The inquiry was an election promise made by Premier Jason Kenney, who said he believed foreign donors were funding protesters in Canada to undermine the reputation of Alberta’s oil and gas industry.
Critics say Commissioner Steve Allan is not establishing the facts, but rather his mandate is to prove a predetermined conclusion and, in so doing, to damage the reputation of those who legitimately and legally question expansion of oil and gas operations.
Late last year, environmental law firm Ecojustice filed a lawsuit, asking a court to quash the investigation, saying the process was politically motivated, prejudging conclusions and was not under provincial jurisdiction.
Sonya Savage, in a statement released Thursday, said it was essential that Commissioner Allan had the resources and the time to do the job properly.
“How Alberta – and Canada – weather this economic crisis will depend largely on the survival and successful recovery of our energy sector,” said Minister Savage.
“We look forward to the commissioner’s recommendations. We will do everything in our power to support one of Canada’s most important industries as we move towards economic recovery and renewed prosperity, “said the Minister of Energy.
The Canadian Press
Video: Desjardins, one year after the data leak (Le Devoir)