Jim Mattis, the former Defense Minister of Donald Trump who had resigned to protest against the withdrawal of American troops from Syria, accused the President of the United States of trying to “divide” America. In his eyes, the tenant of the White House is responsible for the unrest that currently crosses the country.
“In my lifetime, Donald Trump is the first president who does not try to bring the Americans together, who does not even pretend to try,” he said in a statement posted online by The Atlantic on Wednesday. .
“Instead, he is trying to divide us,” added the highly respected former general of the Marines who had so far displayed his reservations without ever commenting directly on the mandate of the Republican billionaire.
“I observed the events of this week, angry and dismayed,” he continues in this implacable indictment, supporting the demonstrators who claim, according to him “rightly”, equal rights.
Since the May 25 death in Minneapolis of George Floyd, a black man asphyxiated by a white police officer, a wave of historic anger has risen in American cities, denouncing racism, police violence and social inequalities. Hundreds of thousands of protesters protested peacefully across the country, but looting and riots also marred the movement.
Donald Trump, very silent on his response to the evils denounced by the demonstrators, on the other hand used a martial tone and threatened to resort to the army to subdue the street, presenting himself as “president of law and order”.
“We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership,” he said.
“We must not be distracted by a handful of outlaws. The demonstrations are tens of thousands of principled people who insist that we live up to our values,” said Jim Mattis.
“We must reject and hold accountable those in power who mock our Constitution,” he adds.