After more than three weeks of a “painful” trial, Johnny Depp’s lawyer worked Tuesday to defend the honor of the actor who sues the tabloid The Sun for having described him as a violent husband and to dismantle the credibility of his ex-wife.
Facing the High Court in London, David Sherborne crushed the article in the popular daily newspaper which in April 2018 described the star of “Pirate of the Caribbean” as an abusive husband towards his ex-wife, American actress Amber Heard, 34 years old.
The article leaves no room for “doubt” or “error”, Johnny Depp would be guilty of violence, denounced the lawyer. It is to put down these “false accusations” that Johnny Depp, 57, initiated this public lawsuit “painful”.
The court decision will be rendered at a later date.
The two ex-spouses had met on the set of “Rhum Express” in 2011 before getting married in February 2015 in Los Angeles.
The couple had divorced with a bang in early 2017. The actress then mentioned “years” of violence “physical and psychological”, accusations strongly rejected by Johnny Depp.
In his plea, David Sherborne sought to methodically point out flaws and modifications in Amber Heard’s statements to discredit the whole story of what he called a “compulsive liar”.
If the actress used to make secret recordings of Johnny Depp, why is there no evidence of violence other than against the kitchen cupboards? the lawyer asked. “Why in all these years of violence” of which she accuses Johnny Depp, do we find no trace of these outbursts during which he would have “seized by the throat” or “caught by the hair” ? What about the trip to Australia that the actress described as “three days of hostage taking” ?
“She knows very well that there was nothing to record”, argued the lawyer, before mocking the thesis of “monster” what would Johnny Depp be when in reality he, he says, turns on his heels in the event of a conflict. “Here is the monster, the fleeing person!” he quipped, after producing the recording of a discussion of the couple in which Amber Heard admits having hit Johnny Depp.
“Behind closed doors”
On his arrival Tuesday morning at the High Court, Johnny Depp was greeted by the cries of a few dozen fans in the hope of seeing their idol or giving him flowers or soft toys. Signs require “Justice for Johnny” or proclaim that “men too” may be victims of violence.
During the three weeks of the trial, the life of the couple that formed Johnny Depp with Amber Heard was exposed down to its most scabrous details. Johnny Depp had to explain himself at length about his consumption of drugs and alcohol, his ex-wife defending herself from infidelities with celebrities.
In the divorce proceedings, Amber Heard had withdrawn her complaint for violence and Johnny Depp had paid her seven million dollars, which the actress had redistributed to associations.
Relying mainly on the statements of the actress, the Sun invokes 14 episodes of violence, all disputed by Johnny Depp. The latter admitted abuse of drugs and alcohol and in return accused the actress of “The Danish Girl” and “Aquaman” with violence.
“I loved him and I didn’t want to lose that (…), his other face was that of a monster, but I always kept the hope that he would detoxify himself”Amber Heard said in court last week.
Monday, the lawyer for the newspaper delivered a real indictment against the interpreter of “Edward in the hands of money”. Sasha Wass strangled the excesses of the actor, “subject to irrational mood swings” when he has been drinking and using drugs.
No witnesses witnessed this violence, she conceded, because, by nature, violence between spouses takes place “behind closed doors”.
For his part, the actor claims to have never raised his hand on a woman, supported on this point by the written testimonies of his ex-companions Vanessa Paradis and Winona Ryder. He portrayed Amber Heard as a narcissistic and sociopathic calculator who wanted to destroy her life.
Amber Heard arrives at the High Court in London on July 28, 2020
- In Tel Aviv, the anger of the forgotten economy, during the covid-19 crisis
They were thousands of Israelis this Saturday evening in Rabin Square in Tel Aviv, to protest against the management of the health crisis. In the crowd, owners of small businesses, freelancers, artists, or students, who have lost their odd job. All have in common a feeling of abandonment. By mid-March Israel had only allowed personnel deemed essential to work. Entertainment venues were closed, hitting the entertainment and entertainment industry hard. The government relaxed the restrictions at the end of May. But infections have multiplied and the periods have become tougher again. Self-employed workers have not been entitled to unemployment, they are still waiting for the aid promised by the Netanyahu government.