TORONTO – Mayors of Ontario’s largest cities say federal and provincial governments must provide emergency funding to municipalities to cover the costs of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The amalgamation says that Ottawa and the provinces must act now so that citizens do not have to face property tax increases, cuts in services and increases in user fees.
The group has been demanding for at least $ 10 billion in financial aid for municipalities across the country for several months.
Meanwhile, Ontario reported 154 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday but no new deaths, as well as 160 new cases resolved. The total number of cases now stands at 35,948 since the start of the pandemic, including 31,426 considered resolved and 2,689 deaths. 17,303 screening tests were completed in 24 hours.
In addition, a homeless defense group has launched a lawsuit against the City of Toronto for its management of the accommodation system during the pandemic.
The procedures had been suspended when the City agreed to provide physical distance in the shelters and provide beds to people in need. But the group says today that the City has not respected the agreement and that the lawsuit must therefore resume its course.
The Canadian Press