Ottawa promises recovery will hit hardest hit

0
43
Ottawa promises recovery will hit hardest hit





© Provided by The Canadian Press



OTTAWA – Addressing the social and economic inequalities that left racialized women, youth and Canadians facing the greatest economic hardship caused by the COVID-19 pandemic is a top priority for recovery, said Minister of Finance Bill Morneau.

Mr. Morneau presented a “portrait” of federal finances on Wednesday for the first time since the pandemic hit a large part of the Canadian economy.

He argued that the government is well aware that certain groups of the population are suffering more than others.

“This crisis has exposed and amplified many inequalities in Canada,” said Mr. Morneau.

In many cases, the same people have also been more affected by the virus itself, in part because women, recent immigrants, racialized Canadians and Aboriginal people are more likely to be employed in jobs where the contagion is a risk, like in healthcare, retail and warehouse work.

Documents take care to note that although racialized Canadians are more likely to work in economic sectors hard hit by the virus – including healthcare, accommodation and food services – little data has been collected to really understand the impact on visible minorities and other marginalized communities.

For example, there is no racial breakdown of those who applied for the Canadian emergency benefit.

In addition, few data were collected on the ethnicity of COVID-19 cases. A recent Ottawa Public Health report found that two-thirds of the cases in the past six weeks confirmed on its territory were racialized Canadians or recent immigrants, but this report was limited in scope and for one city.

The economic portrait notes that women, youth, the working poor, racialized Canadians, Aboriginal people and recent immigrants have all experienced higher rates of job loss or shorter hours, and do not see little, if any, positive effect from the economic recovery.

Male-dominated sectors, such as construction and manufacturing, have recovered more quickly than the service, tourism and accommodation industries, where women and immigrants tend to be employed more proportion.

New Canadians in particular have so far been very few back to work, the report said.

Businesses owned by women and racialized Canadians were more likely to report lower orders and fewer customers and an increased need for rent relief.

Women have also been hit hardest by the closure of schools and daycare centers. Those with children under the age of six experienced much larger reductions in hours worked than women without children or older.

“In the future, everything we do must focus on growth, resilience and creating opportunities for those who have been most affected by this crisis,” said Mr. Morneau.

“This pandemic has identified clear gaps and gives us a chance to correct them.”

It is not clear how the minister plans to do this. The government has specified that part of the $ 14 billion in aid offered to the provinces to help them relaunch their economies safely must include investments in childcare services.

“We have been very clear that access to child care will be extremely important for the return to work,” said Mr. Morneau at a press conference. Women have been hit hardest during this pandemic, so our actions must take this challenge into account. ”

But a month after Ottawa put the $ 14 billion on the table, the provinces have not yet accepted Ottawa’s demands for access to this money.

Little information has also been released on how the government intends to try to level the playing field in order to close the gaps that led to inequality during the pandemic.

Morneau said the government is focused on restoring the economy for the time being and that the longer-term stimulus plan is still being developed.

Mia Rabson, The Canadian Press

Video: Coronavirus: Quebec hardens the tone towards bars (Le Devoir)


NEXT VIDEO

  • Coronavirus: Who will enforce the compulsory wearing of masks in public transport?
    Coronavirus: Who will enforce the compulsory wearing of masks in public transport?

    The wearing of the mask will be mandatory in public transportation in Quebec as of July 13, but the transportation companies do not know how they will go about enforcing the instruction. “Our members will not play the mask police” – Daniel Leroux, acting president of the STM transport union, which represents bus drivers. “You should know that a driver has no coercive power other than stopping his bus […] As for the inspectors, there are not enough of them to be deployed on all the buses. ” – Valérie Plante Until July 27, users will benefit from a grace period. After this date, passengers aged 12 and over who present themselves without a mask will not be able to board buses or the metro. While they welcome the government’s decision on the mask, the transportation companies do not yet know how the new rules will apply. The Société de transport de Montréal (STM), the Société de transport de l’Outaouais (STO) as well as those of Longueuil and Laval are awaiting the publication of the ministerial order before disclosing the terms and conditions to this effect. The government does not provide for fines for passengers who do not wear the mask. Valérie Plante believes that the compulsory wearing of a face cover in public transport was necessary given the low adoption of the mask among users. Since June 15, the mask is mandatory in the OC Transpo network in Ottawa. It is the first Canadian city to move forward with this measure. The transport company has decided that it will not limit access to its network to users without masks and that it will not issue statements of offense to recalcitrants. The Toronto Transit Commission also made it mandatory to wear the mask effective July 2. Only children under two years of age and people with a medical condition that prevents them from wearing a mask will be exempt. But it will not refuse access to the metro and buses to users who do not have their faces covered.

    Le Devoir logo: Le Devoir smallFavicon
    The duty

  • Coronavirus: young drug addicts left to their own devices
    Coronavirus: young drug addicts left to their own devices

    Since the pandemic, requests for admission to adolescent drug treatment centers have plummeted. And it is not because young people have stopped using, but because the usual safety nets have practically all disappeared since March. “Since the schools closed, we have been unable to reach young people” – Guillaume Potvin, head of the adolescent program at the Portage center in the Laurentians. Since mid-March, Le Portage has no longer received referrals from its usual partners, namely schools, hospitals, youth centers and other community organizations. In telework mode, workers who generally raise the red flag are no longer able to do so. Compared to last year, Le Portage saw its admission requests decrease by 63% for French-speaking adolescent customers and by 87% for English-speaking adolescent customers since March. Among adults, the decline is 38%. “We need families, parents, grandparents. Call us ! Even if it doesn’t result in an admission, even if it’s just to ask questions. – Seychelle Harding of the Le Portage center David Laplante, director general of the Le Grand Chemin center, believes that it is rather for network stakeholders to organize themselves to reach young people despite the pandemic. In adolescents, it is important to intervene as soon as possible to avoid an escalation in consumption, he recalls.

    Le Devoir logo: Le Devoir smallFavicon
    The duty

  • Heat wave and pandemic: consumption of drinking water explodes
    Heat wave and pandemic: consumption of drinking water explodes

    The recent heat wave and the continuing pandemic have exploded the consumption of drinking water in Quebec, forcing many municipalities to impose restrictions on water consumption. We can expect other similar episodes during the summer. And the capacity of cities to treat water concerns experts more than supply. During the heat wave, several municipalities, including Quebec, Longueuil, Laval and certain areas of Montreal, asked their citizens to reduce their water consumption by prohibiting the filling of swimming pools and watering the lawn, among others. The level of the St. Lawrence River remains high, so supply is assured. Rather, it is the decrease in reserves and the drop in pressure in the network that cause concern in Laval and Longueuil, for example. “It was really in a critical situation. It was the first time that the agglomeration of Longueuil decreed watering bans for its entire territory. – Fanie St-Pierre, spokesperson for the City of Longueuil The heat wave combined with the increase in telework during the pandemic also explains the high consumption of water in the residential sector (kitchen, showers, dishes, watering vegetable gardens and lawns , cleaning cars and parking lots, etc.) “We invest a lot in our flowers and our lawns, but we must remember that lawns can remain dormant for up to four to six weeks. -Mathieu Laneuville, Deputy Director General of the Environment Network Quebecers are among the largest consumers of water in Canada. The recovery of rainwater could meet the need for water for watering gardens and washing cars, but it is still not widely used in Quebec.

    Le Devoir logo: Le Devoir smallFavicon
    The duty

NEXT VIDEO

NEXT VIDEO

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here