Kretschmann rejects rules for gender-appropriate language

0
30
Kretschmann rejects rules for gender-appropriate language


Everyone should “be able to speak the way their beak grew,” says Prime Minister of Baden-Württemberg Kretschmann – who did well in a survey.


Baden-Württemberg's Prime Minister Winfried Kretschmann.


© Photo: Sebastian Gollnow / dpa
Baden-Württemberg’s Prime Minister Winfried Kretschmann.


Baden-Württemberg’s Prime Minister Winfried Kretschmann is strictly against gender equality rules. “I don’t believe in all this over-the-top language,” said the Greens politician at the German Press Agency in Stuttgart. “Of course, we have to make sure that we don’t hurt anyone in our language, and language shapes our thinking a bit. But everyone should still be able to speak the way his beak grew. ”He was against“ language police officers ”.

[Mehr aus der Hauptstadt. Mehr aus der Region. Mehr zu Politik und Gesellschaft. Und mehr Nützliches für Sie. Das gibt’s nun mit Tagesspiegel Plus: Jetzt 30 Tage kostenlos testen.]

Kretschmann admitted that it was not easy for him to always mention the female form when he spoke of spectators or of police officers. “I can’t do anything about the confusion between gender and sex, but to a certain extent I bow to this trend.”

Gender denotes the grammatical gender, sex the biological. Many guidelines for gender-equitable language recommend that grammatical male forms such as “teachers” should only be used for biologically male teachers.

Kretschmann is indomitable in dealing with historical models. He sticks to his favorite philosopher, even though she is suspected of being racist. “Hannah Arendt was the complete opposite of a racist,” he emphasized. “The diversity of people is, so to speak, the basic program of their political philosophy. Whether she had any prejudices about African people in her day is a completely different question. ”

After the death of African-American George Floyd in a brutal police operation in the United States in May, the racism debate also captured the work of Hannah Arendt (1906-1975). Because the publicist claimed that African Americans themselves are complicit in racism.

For Germans, Kretschmann is the most suitable candidate for Green Chancellor

In Germany, Kretschmann thinks a survey is most suitable for leading the Greens as candidates for chancellor in the federal election. 29 percent of those questioned support Kretschmann, as the Kantar polling institute determined on behalf of the Funke media group. 48 percent are against Kretschmann as candidate for chancellor, 23 percent do not want to commit themselves.

[Jeden Morgen informieren wir Sie, liebe Leserinnen und Leser, in unserer Morgenlage über die politischen Entscheidungen, Nachrichten und Hintergründe. Zur kostenlosen Anmeldung geht es hier.]

The head of government in Stuttgart is doing better than the incumbent Greens. Robert Habeck comes in second place with 25 percent approval and 47 percent rejection, Annalena Baerbock (18 to 55 percent) comes in third place.

Almost on par with Baerbock is the Green Group leader Katrin Göring-Eckardt (18 to 58 percent), who achieves a significantly better result than her co-group leader. Only 10 percent consider Anton Hofreiter to be a suitable candidate for chancellor, while 65 percent say no.

Kretschmann does worse in its own warehouse

A different picture emerges from the Kantar poll among the supporters of the Greens, who rate Habeck and Baerbock better than Kretschmann – but without getting overwhelming approval. Habeck is considered by 56 percent of Greens voters as a suitable candidate for Chancellor, 22 percent disagree. Baerbock gets 50 percent approval and 31 percent rejection.

Remarkable: Kretschmann does worse in its own camp (34 to 44 percent) than among the supporters of Union (39 to 44 percent) and SPD (40 to 49 percent). On the other places in the supporters of the Greens: Göring-Eckardt (35 to 50 percent) and Hofreiter (13 to 64 percent). Kantar interviewed 1,017 selected individuals on July 29 and 30, 2020 across Germany. (dpa, AFP)

Video: Söder warns: Corona could come back with “full force” (SAT.1)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here