The Second Panel of the Supreme Federal Court (STF) authorized, on Tuesday (04), that the defense of ex-president Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva has full access to the leniency agreement signed between Odebrecht and the Federal Public Ministry (STF) ). After consulting the settlement, the case should return to the final allegations stage, when the defendants have a chance to present allegations and evidence to try to avoid the conviction.
When voting, the suit’s rapporteur, Edson Fachin, decided to deny Lula’s defense request, claiming that lawyers had already had access to the case file. The lawyer Cristiano Zanin, who defends the PT, said that 15 days were allowed for him and an assistant to have access to a huge amount of files, which was not reasonable in the process.
Ministers Ricardo Lewandowski and Gilmar Mendes disagreed with Fachin and decided to access the archives. For Lewandowski, not allowing the accused access to documents and evidence of the process would create a “dictatorship” of the Judiciary. “There is no type of secret in the Democratic State of Law, notably in the case of an accused before the courts, it is necessary, and the STF has already established this in Precedent 14, to grant the investigated persons wide access to the information collected in their favor,” he said. the magistrate.