Tens of thousands of people are demonstrating in Belarus

0
7
Tens of thousands of people are demonstrating in Belarus




A soldier at the seat of government in Minsk lowers his sign in solidarity with the demonstrators. Despite the release of many prisoners in Belarus, tens of thousands of people demonstrated.


© Sergei Grits/AP/dpa
A soldier at the seat of government in Minsk lowers his sign in solidarity with the demonstrators. Despite the release of many prisoners in Belarus, tens of thousands of people demonstrated.


Despite new warnings from the head of state Alexander Lukashenko about protests, numerous people have taken to the streets in Belarus (Belarus). Tens of thousands gathered for a funeral service on Saturday in the capital Minsk alone. They were reminiscent of a man who was killed in a demonstration. Nationwide people protested against violence and arbitrariness under Lukashenko – for the sixth day in a row. The police initially held back. The president called the protests “a threat” to his country. He made it clear that he wasn’t thinking of giving up.

Next Monday he wanted to visit the state truck builder, the 65-year-old announced according to the state agency Belta. There he wants to give the employees answers to their questions. In state-owned companies, more and more employees are taking down their work in protest. According to observers, this could seriously damage the economy in Belarus. Lukashenko therefore warned again of losing a job if companies went bankrupt: “We mustn’t put any pressure on anyone, we just have to tell them that.”

Attempt to overthrow

At the same time, he sees the protests as an attempt to overthrow. “We’re already reading the instructions for a color revolution,” he said. There are already “elements of external interference”. “We’ll see what happens. We must not allow ourselves to be lulled by the peaceful actions and demonstrations, ”said the head of state. Lukashenko had been declared the winner of the election on Sunday for the sixth time in a row. But many people doubt this and consider Svetlana Tichanowskaya to be the real winner. Tichanovskaya had called for new peaceful mass actions from her exile in the EU country Lithuania. She gets broad support for it.

During the protests in the past few days, the police had acted extremely brutally against peaceful people. There were nearly 7,000 arrests. More than 2,000 of them were released on Friday. Information on further releases was initially not available on Saturday. Many people released reported abuse in prison. Protesters showed pictures of injuries to the body with large bruises at the rally on Saturday.

Meanwhile, more and more artists and musicians are calling on the state apparatus to renounce violence. The Belarusian rock band BI-2 wrote on Telegram: “Guys, stop beating your own people.” And: “We support Belarus in its fight for freedom.”

Emotional scenes took place at the memorial service in Minsk. People knelt at the scene of the accident and lit candles. “Belarus is burying its hero today,” said a protester in a video on the Telegram news channel. One woman said, “I don’t know this young man, but he’s a hero to me. I want to thank him. ”She added:“ We are in favor of a new president and for peaceful new elections. ”

Explosive device explodes

According to the authorities, an explosive device that he wanted to throw at security forces should have exploded in the hand of the 34-year-old. Many people don’t believe this version. An eyewitness told the tut.by portal that the man ran up to the police on Monday and that there was no explosion. The father of the victim should therefore not have been allowed to see his son one last time in the morgue.

Lukashenko described the protests on Saturday as a “threat” to Belarus, but also to Russia. At lunchtime he phoned the Kremlin chief Vladimir Putin. Both sides were confident that the problems would be resolved soon, the Kremlin said afterwards. These problems should not be exploited by “destructive forces” to impair cooperation between the two countries. Belarus is economically dependent on Russia.

Meanwhile, the Baltic states of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania called Lukashenko for new elections. With the participation of international observers, free and fair presidential elections should be conducted in a transparent manner, according to a joint statement by the three heads of government.

The EU launched sanctions against Lukashenko’s supporters on Friday in view of the violence in Belarus. The Baltic heads of government emphasized that it is also important that the international community find ways and means to provide greater support to civil society in Belarus. The Belarusian people should not be punished for the actions of their leadership. (dpa)

Video: No end to violence in Belarus: EU thinks about sanctions (Euronews)

No end to violence in Belarus: EU is considering sanctions

  • Like Ku Klux Klan? Racist threatening emails from neo-Nazis in Portugal
    Like Ku Klux Klan? Racist threatening emails from neo-Nazis in Portugal
    Police in Portugal have started an investigation after several MPs received racist threats via email. The emails were apparently signed by a group of neo-Nazis. In the letters, the politicians and activists were asked to leave Portugal within 48 hours. An activist from SOS Racism Portugal was also threatened. The Left Bloc and SOS Racism Portugal want to file a lawsuit on behalf of Beatriz Gomes Dias, Mariana Mortágua and Joacine Qatar Moreira. Twitterers report on photos on the Internet of a demonstration by neo-Nazis in front of the headquarters of SOS Racismo in Lisbon, at which protesters with white masks – similar to the racist Ku Klux Klan in the USA – are said to have marched. Numerous anti-racism groups have called on the government to take a stronger stand against racial hostility and the extreme right in Portugal. Political observers had pointed out in recent years that in Portugal, unlike in most other EU countries, no right-wing populist party made it into parliament.

    Euronews-Logo
    Euronews

  • Aid deliveries for Beirut: France sends food
    Aid deliveries for Beirut: France sends food
    One and a half weeks after the devastating explosion in Beirut, the French helicopter carrier “Tonnerre” arrived in Lebanon. The ship mainly brings food and building materials to the capital. The French Defense Minister Florence Parly traveled to Beirut to get an idea of ​​the Beirut nightlife district, Gemmayzeh. Many houses in this district were badly damaged in the explosion. Hundreds of thousands need help According to the United Nations, around 300,000 people depend on international support. 100,000 residents of the Lebanese capital have become unemployed. The World Food Program (WFP) is already distributing food to people in need. In the coming weeks, mainly wheat flour and grain for the bakeries in the capital will arrive. A part of the container terminal has been able to be used again since August 8, but that is not enough, said a spokeswoman for the World Food Program in Geneva. The UN Children’s Fund (Unicef) helps families to repair sanitary and drinking water pipes and to rehabilitate schools. Because the number of corona infections is also increasing in Lebanon, more children should get tablet computers so that they can at least take part in lessons online. For this, electricity and Internet supply would have to be significantly improved, said Violet Speek-Warnery from the Unicef ​​office in Beirut. On August 4, 3,000 tons of toxic chemicals exploded in a warehouse in the port of Beirut. At least 171 people were killed and more than 6,000 were injured. The investigation into the cause is still ongoing.

    Euronews-Logo
    Euronews

  • Belarus' brave women
    Belarus’ brave women
    It was three women who stood up to President Alexander Lukashenko in the election in Belarus, and it is women who are now taking to the streets and demonstrating. A young woman told Euronews: “Our President says that the Constitution does not even mention women in politics and that women can only serve in government here, and also men. That we have no strength or the knowledge to do so. to rule. Three women have shown that we do have the strength. We also have a voice. (We are equal to men.) And sometimes we are even stronger than men. ” The elections in Belarus had never been so exciting. Because so far the opposition has usually shone with its absence. Those who did not agree with Lukashenko kept their mouths shut. This time, however, someone had been set up, a woman. This led to the man, who is also called the last dictator in Europe, expressing his views on women – that they were made to serve. But many, including men, chose Svetlana Tichanovskaya. The 37-year-old English teacher fled to Lithuania after the election and Veronika Tsepkalo was also afraid and fled to Moscow. The only one of the three women who stayed is Maria Kolesnikova. The brave woman with short blonde hair told Euronews that she was not going anywhere. Kolesnikova: “We continue to demand free and fair elections and the release of all political prisoners. Among them are our friends and family members. And we will create a platform to help those who were insulted, intimidated or injured during the protests.” Amnesty International complains that women who are politically active in Belarus are discriminated against because of their gender. Activists report sexual assault and threats that their children would be taken away from them. Kolesnikova says she will not be intimidated: “I feel that the people support me. People on the street applaud me. I know that we can create a better Belarus.” After decades of silence, women in Belarus are determined to have their voices heard. Kolesnikova says it was silent long enough.

    Euronews-Logo
    Euronews

NEXT

NEXT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here