Washington. Bitcoin worth more than $ 100,000 is said to have been the prey to an extortionate hacker attack. A 17-year-old suspect was arrested on Friday. Apparently he wasn’t acting alone.
The 17-year-old suspected mastermind of the large-scale hacker attack on Twitter accounts of numerous celebrities has rejected the allegations. At a court hearing in Florida, the teenager pleaded not guilty on Tuesday, the Tampa Bay newspaper reported. He had been arrested in Tampa on Florida’s west coast on Friday.
Together with the 17-year-old, a 19-year-old from Great Britain and a 22-year-old from Orlando in Florida are accused of having committed the hacker attack in mid-July. During the “Bit-Con” attack, the Twitter accounts of ex-US President Barack Obama, Microsoft founder Bill Gates and Tesla boss Elon Musk were hijacked.
A call had appeared on the hacked Twitter accounts to transfer bitcoins within 30 minutes. Supposedly, this should be rewarded with a double payment. According to the prosecutor, the accused are said to have captured cryptocurrency worth more than $ 100,000. 30 charges were filed against the 17-year-old, including fraud in numerous cases, misuse of personal information, and unauthorized intrusion into computer systems.
After the attack, Twitter said 130 user accounts had been attacked. With 45 accounts, the hackers could “take control and send tweets” and change passwords. Personal data was downloaded from eight accounts. In addition to Obama, Gates and Musk, US presidential candidate Joe Biden, Amazon founder Jeff Bezos and rap star Kanye West were also affected by the hacker attack, as did the technology company Apple.
More from RP ONLINE