Boy (13) dies – doctors find something terrible in his brain

0
7
Boy (13) dies - doctors find something terrible in his brain




The amoeba Naegleria fowleri had eaten its way into the boy's brain. Our photo shows the carnivorous worm Obama nungara.


© AFP
The amoeba Naegleria fowleri had eaten its way into the boy’s brain. Our photo shows the carnivorous worm Obama nungara.


The 13-year-old Tanner Lake Wall from Florida actually only wanted to bathe a little in a lake in north Florida near Tallahassee – only a short time later the boy became seriously ill, went to the hospital and died.

The cause of death sounds creepy: Doctors want to have found out that one dangerous parasite, an amoeba, is said to have eaten through his brain. The parasite presumably entered the body through the nose.

Amoeba Naegleria fowleri kills 13-year-old boys

Before that, the 13-year-old should have always been a healthy and active boy, his parents report. However, after staying in the lake, Tanner complained of headaches, nausea and vomiting. His father took him to the Putnam Community Medical Center in Palatka out of concern.

The doctors’ first diagnosis: a harmless sore throat.

But the state of health did not improve. Tanner was referred to a clinic in Gainsville. There, the doctors discovered dangerous parasites in the brain – more precisely the unicellular amoeba Naegleria fowleri.

Amoeba Naegleria fowleri: Not harmless strep throat

In humans, this creature can cause fatal meningitis. Any help came too late for the boy. The parasite had already attacked parts of the brain.

“We are sorry to have to tell you that, but your son does not have bacterial meningitis, he has the parasitic amoeba and there is no cure,” is how the attending doctor reported the shock message. This is reported by various US media – among others Fox News.

Parents had life support machines turned off

At the beginning of August, the parents decided to turn off the life support machines. Subsequently, the 13-year-old Tanner died of the consequences of the infection – caused by the unicellular amoeba Naegleria fowleri.

According to the Rober Koch Institute (RKI), the amoeba Naegleria fowleri occurs mainly in warm freshwater waters of the tropics and subtropics. (mt)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here