Armenia and Azerbaijan want a humanitarian ceasefire

0
2
Armenia and Azerbaijan want a humanitarian ceasefire


In the conflict over the South Caucasus region of Nagorno-Karabakh, Armenia and Azerbaijan are making a fresh attempt at a ceasefire. On Sunday night at midnight local time (10:00 p.m. CEST), a “humanitarian ceasefire” should come into force. The foreign ministries of both countries announced this on Saturday evening. The authorities in Nagorno-Karabakh reported early Sunday morning (local time) that the situation along the front line had calmed down.


A woman stands in the ruins of her house, which was destroyed by shelling by Azerbaijani artillery.


© picture alliance/dpa
A woman stands in the ruins of her house, which was destroyed by shelling by Azerbaijani artillery.


A week ago, both sides agreed on a cease-fire with the mediation of Russia. However, this agreement was broken shortly after it came into force. Both countries blamed each other for this.

France wants to monitor the situation closely

In the evening France welcomed the humanitarian ceasefire, which had also come about after French mediation. “This ceasefire must be unconditional and strictly adhered to by both parties,” it said from the Elysée Palace. France will “follow the situation very closely” and “continue to work for a permanent cessation of hostilities and the early start of credible talks.”

Previously there had been new fights with dead and injured. Azerbaijan reported heavy attacks by the Armenian side on Saturday night on Ganja, the country’s second largest city. The civil protection ministry in the capital Baku announced that 13 people were killed in the rocket fire. Armenia also blamed the neighboring country for attacks.

Armenia denies responsibility for ganja attack

Azerbaijan spoke of 50 injured in Ganja. The bodies were found, for example, under the rubble of destroyed houses. Children are said to have been among them. Images distributed from Azerbaijan showed rescue workers looking for survivors in destroyed houses. Search dogs were also used. The authorities spoke of considerable damage.

Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev called the attack a war crime on television and threatened that the Armenian leadership would be held accountable. Armenia, however, rejected a responsibility and in return accused the hostile neighbor of being behind the attack and of using this as “propaganda” against the Armenians.

Ceasefire for humanitarian reasons

Video: Nagorno-Karabakh: Three weeks of war and no end in sight (Euronews)

Nagorno-Karabakh: Three weeks of war and no end in sight

  • Suspicion of terrorism: man beheaded near Paris
    Suspicion of terrorism: man beheaded near Paris
    A man has reportedly been beheaded in the street near Paris. The incident is said to have occurred in Conflans-Sainte-Honorine northwest of Paris late Friday afternoon, the French news agency AFP reported. The alleged perpetrator is said to have shouted “Allah Akhbar” and threatened the police with a weapon. The suspect was gunned down after a car chase by 78 BAC officials in Eragny-sur-Oise (Val-d’Oise), police sources report. The identity of the victim is not yet known, it could be a teacher. The anti-terrorism prosecutor took over the case. An investigation into “murder related to a terrorist enterprise” and “criminal terrorist organization” has been opened, an AFP source said. France has been rocked by Islamist attacks for years – more than 250 people died. Therefore, people are almost always aware of the threat of terrorism. Just a few weeks ago there was a knife attack in front of the former editorial building of the satirical magazine “Charlie Hebdo”.

    Euronews-Logo
    Euronews

  • In Berlin
    After the court decision: how will the Berlin curfew?
    What happens next with curfew in Berlin? The eleven bars that had taken action against the Senate’s measure are now allowed to reopen for the time being. The Berlin administrative court overturned the morning curfew. Although the measure pursues the legitimate goal of reducing the spread of the coronavirus, according to the court, according to the Robert Koch Institute, restaurants have not had such a significant share in the infection process under the protective and hygiene measures that have been in place to date that justify a curfew. Senate wants to go to the next instance Health Senator Dilek Kalayci emphasized that the alcohol ban would remain in place. Even the pubs that are now allowed to reopen are not allowed to serve alcohol after 11 p.m. She also announced that she would call the next instance so that the curfew could remain. The hotel and restaurant association DeHoGa now expects that all other Berlin innkeepers will soon be able to open again at night. However, this is not yet clear. The plaintiffs had criticized the curfew as disproportionate. In their opinion, there is no convincing reason for the restaurants to close at 11 p.m. With a curfew for gastronomy, young people would then meet in other places for which no hygiene concepts apply, so the argumentation. Seven Berlin districts are risk areas In the German capital, restaurants, pubs and shops that sell alcohol, the “Spätis”, have had to close at 11 pm since last Saturday and are only allowed to reopen at 6 am. Petrol stations are allowed to stay open, but not sell alcohol. Seven Berlin districts have been classified as risk areas by the Robert Koch Institute: Neukölln, Mitte, Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg, Tempelhof-Schöneberg, Reinickendorf, Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf and Spandau.

    Euronews-Logo
    Euronews

  • Brexit: Johnson goes all out
    Brexit: Johnson goes all out
    An ultimatum for the Brexit negotiations set by the British Prime Minister expired today, and Boris Johnson wanted the treaties with the EU to be signed and sealed by October 15. An agreement was not reached and Johnson announced that Britain was getting ready for a no-deal. The “Australian solution” means that the regulations of the World Trade Organization (WTO) would apply, Great Britain would become any third country, there would be tariffs and trade barriers. As at the beginning of the negotiations, the crux of the matter is fishing rights, the same competition rules as in the EU and solutions in the event of a conflict. This has already occurred through the adoption of the so-called Internal Market Act, which is intended to nullify parts of the already valid EU exit treaty. This concerns special rules for the British part of Northern Ireland.

    Euronews-Logo
    Euronews

NEXT

NEXT

Armenia, in turn, reported rocket attacks by the Azerbaijani side, including on the capital of Nagorno-Karabakh. At least three civilians were injured in Stepanakert. Both sides accused each other of having again violated the ceasefire.

In the evening, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov urged both sides to abide by the agreement. According to his Ministry in Moscow, he telephoned his colleagues from Azerbaijan and Armenia, Jeyhun Bayramov and Sohrab Mnazakanjan.

Lavrov reminded that the ceasefire also served humanitarian reasons. In addition, both sides had declared their readiness for “substantial negotiations” with the aim of reaching a peace settlement as quickly as possible, it said.

Information cannot be independently verified

The EU also again urged both sides to respect the ceasefire. “All attacks on civilians and civil facilities must come to an end,” said a spokesman for EU Foreign Affairs Representative Josep Borrell on Saturday. The European Union regrets the shelling of the Azerbaijani city of Ganja.

The Foreign Office in Berlin appealed that both countries had to “immediately return to the path to a peaceful and lasting conflict resolution”. In addition, the people affected by the conflict should now receive help.

The information from the conflict region cannot be verified independently. The Azerbaijan military announced that it had shot down an Armenian fighter jet. The Armenian Defense Ministry immediately denied this and declared that it had shot down two drones from the opposing side.

Fought over mountainous region for decades

Azerbaijan reported further territorial gains at the front. Aliyev also said his military had taken control of the city of Fizuli and seven surrounding villages. This region borders on Nagorno-Karabakh and was occupied by Armenia.

The two ex-Soviet republics have been fighting for decades for the mountainous region with around 145,000 inhabitants. Nagorno-Karabakh is controlled by Armenia, but under international law it belongs to the Islamic part of Azerbaijan. Azerbaijan lost control of the area in a war that followed the collapse of the Soviet Union some 30 years ago. A fragile ceasefire has existed since 1994.

Thousands of people have now fled the mountain region, which is predominantly inhabited by Christian Karabakh Armenians. The Armenian Defense Ministry said more than 600 soldiers had been killed since the new fighting began on September 27. Azerbaijan has so far not provided any information on losses in its armed forces. More than 50 civilians were killed in Armenian attacks.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here