Our mind and body aren’t the only ones that need a well-deserved break from time to time, our hair can benefit as well. Leaving aside your styling and coloring habits can make hair healthier and help it grow much faster. So why not try a hair holiday? Mary Geoghegan, hairstylist at KH Salon in Nottingham, England, taught us how to help our hair rejuvenate.
1. Reduce the amount of time your hair is in contact with heated styling devices. Try to use the heat once a week, or three times at most, and always make sure to use a quality thermal protector.
2. The sun is harmful to your hair. Just like it burns your skin, it can burn your hair too! If you spend time in the sun, wear sunscreen on your hair to protect it from UVA / UVB rays. My favorite line is the System Professional Solar from Wella.
3. Use an intensive nourishing treatment targeting the needs of your hair. An excellent restorative treatment is the Nioxin Deep Protect Density Mask, which prevents 97% of breakage. When you apply it, target the ends first as this is the older part of the hair that has suffered the most wear. Once applied, give yourself a head massage to stimulate hair growth and help you relax.
Gallery: 10 tips to prepare your skin for the cold (Cover Media)
Think about the serum
Pamper your lips
Never without a mask
4. Adopt less severe hairstyles, such as a low ponytail or loose braids. Pulling the hair tight or tying it with rubber bands can put a lot of strain on the hair follicles and on the cuticle. In the long run, it can break them or even cause hair loss.
5. Increase your nutrient intake! Get the majority of your nutrients from your diet, but you can also take vitamin supplements, especially if you are deficient. I would recommend vitamin B12, but consult your healthcare professional for more information.
6. Finally … meditation. It may sound strange, but external and internal stress has a huge impact on hair growth. I urge you to take a few minutes morning and evening to calm your mind, breathe and find peace. This will help you focus and keep you from being overwhelmed by stress.
Hair expert Jessica Neil, from KH Hair Salon in West Bridgford, also recommends skipping hair dyes that damage hair. You will notice that your mane will be more voluminous, less brittle and that it will be easier to comb.