The diet of cabbage soup, It’s one of the most popular methods for lose weight in the short term. As the name implies it implies eating large amounts of cabbage soup, proponents of this diet endorse that it can help lose about 10 pounds (4.5 kg) in a single week. However today there are so many nutrition and health trends so innovative, various specialists have declared that it is a unhealthy diet and with results not very sustainable in the long term. If you have considered trying this dietary guideline, we invite you to continue reading, in order to know its benefits, contraindications and so take the best decision for your health.
What is the cabbage soup diet?
Information on the origin of this diet is scarce, what is known is that began to gain popularity since the 1980s and has been maintained ever since. Throughout this time he has gone through moments of biggest boom and in recent years has taken relevance again.
This diet is also known by other names, among which are: The Sacred Heart Hospital diet and the Mayo Clinic diet, the theory goes that it was an eating plan created in a hospital so that patients lose weight quickly prior to any surgery. The truth is that hospitals involved they have denied such claims.
The diet is based on a plan with a duration of 7 days and its main objective is to ensure rapid weight loss. It works by exclusive consumption of homemade cabbage soup and the consumption of 1 or 2 more foods, as is the case with certain fruits, vegetables, beef, chicken, and brown rice, in very controlled and guarded portions.
According to official information located in the Mayo Clinic portal, is considered a lightning diet and its results as well. While they confirm their weight loss benefits, relate them directly to the limitation in caloric intake drastically and although they report some fat loss, the truth is that it is very likely that all the weight that is lost is a combination of water and fat. Also in some cases some of loss of muscle mass, which is considered a risk that is associated with various health effects.
It is a diet very low in complex carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins and minerals, that is why nutrition and medicine specialists recommend doing it for no more than 7 days and it is important to complement it with a high consumption of liquids and natural infusions.
How it is performed?
Preparing to carry out this diet is pretty straightforward, since the fundamental step is to prepare large batches of soup to consume it throughout an entire week. While some ingredients in the recipe may vary, the original version is as follows:
- 2 large onions
- 2 green peppers
- 2 cans of tomatoes
- 1 bunch of celery
- 1 large piece of cabbage
- 3 carrots
- 1 package of mushrooms
- 1-2 vegetable stock cubes (optional)
- 6 to 8 cups of water or mixed vegetable juice (such as V8)
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Wash and disinfect all vegetables. Once clean you should chop them into medium cubes, separately and reserve them.
- In a large soup saucepan add a little olive oil, when it is hot, sauté the onion and when they are seasoned and lightly browned, add the rest of the vegetables.
- Add the vegetable stock cubes and cover with water. Bring the soup to a boil and reduce to low heat.
- Simmer for 30-45 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- If you want you can season with a touch of salt, pepper, herbs and spices. It is also allowed to add other non-starchy vegetables such as spinach and green beans.
- During 7 consecutive days the basis of the diet It will be the cabbage soup, it is allowed to consume it freely throughout the day and at all main meals.
- The consumption of maximum two meals a day, additional to the free intake of the soup. That is to say according to the day consumption is allowed of certain variants of fruits, vegetables, beef, chicken breast and brown rice. The consumption of any other food group.
- Freely consume water and other natural drinks without calories or sweeteners. Some good recommendations are the green tea, infusion of chamomile, ginger, turmeric, lavender and mint.
- Various specialists recommend the consumption of some multivitamin for 7 days that the diet is carried out, since it can be low in nutrients.
Cabbage soup diet rules:
- Day 1: Unlimited cabbage and fruit soup, no bananas.
- Day 2: Just soup and vegetables. The diet should be based on the consumption of raw or cooked green leafy vegetables. Avoid the peas, corn and beans. The consumption of a baked potato with butter or olive oil is allowed.
- Day 3: Fruits and vegetables freely, in addition to soup. The intake of potatoes and bananas.
- Day 4: Unlimited bananas, skim milk and cabbage soup freely.
- Day 5: Are allowed 10 to 20 ounces (280 to 567 grams) beef, can be substituted for chicken or fish. They can be complemented with 6 tomatoes a day and lettuce.
- Day 6: Free soup, grilled chicken and green leafy vegetables. You can substitute grilled meat or fish for chicken.
- Day 7: The consumption of vegetables, brown rice, natural fruit juice and freshly made unlimited, the consumption of processed and sugary drinks.
The diet should last only 7 days and it is possible to repeat it when considered necessary, with an interval between 2-3 weeks apart.
There is no scientific references that endorse the benefits of cabbage soup dietor, the truth is that being a very low calorie meal plan weight loss is guaranteed. In particular, when it severely restricts calorie intake or lose a lot of weight, the body responds by reducing metabolic rate, reducing the amount of calories you burn per day.
The truth is that there are studies that support the benefits of low calorie diets and short-term, to temporarily decrease insulin resistance, although they are considered too short to produce big changes in body fat. Also in the case of obese people, diets very low in calories for periods between 4 and 12 weeks, are related to significant short-term improvements in weight loss and the metabolic health.
It is considered a diet rich in vegetables, which provide vitamins, minerals and fiber. It is accessible to all pockets and to power freely consume the soup and other foods is possible feeling satiated and without much anxiety to eat. Although it is related to benefits for purify the body and promotes the elimination of retained toxins and fluids, most of the weight lost is water and it is quite likely to regain it as soon as it is regained the usual diet.
While currently the best health recommendation, is to choose a lifestyle that includes a balanced and plant-based diet, daily physical activity and good control of stress levels. In particular cases for detoxify the body and give digestion a break, depending on the case may be related to benefits, as long as it is not done for more than 7 consecutive days.