Properly protected in the break-in season – the most important questions and answers

Properly protected in the break-in season - the most important questions and answers

Even if the number of break-ins has recently decreased: Correct insurance protection is especially important in the dark season.

The number of break-ins has also decreased because of the corona crisis.

© imago images/Geisser
The number of break-ins has also decreased because of the corona crisis.

The latest break-ins in Germany provided relief for many house and apartment owners. They could fall to their lowest level since 1981 in the current year, according to the insurer association GDV recently. The consequences of the corona pandemic with home office, short-time work and vacation at home have made a positive contribution.

At the same time, Jörg Asmussen, managing director of GDV, warned the insured against being too careless. “However, the high season of burglars with the dark season is still ahead,” he said in an interview.

In general, breaking into a house or apartment is a shock for those affected in many ways. Emotionally, because strangers rummaged through their things. Mentally, because suddenly they no longer feel safe within their own walls. In addition, there is the financial damage because valuable things were stolen and vandalism may have occurred.

Here are the most important questions and answers to financial security, it should actually become one Burglary in your own four walls is coming.

What insurance pays in the event of a break-in?

In addition to damage caused by fire, water or storm, household insurance is also responsible for burglary damage and stolen items. It is important to note that the objects involved must be movable, i.e. the flat screen TV or jewelry. Residential building insurance is responsible for items that are firmly connected to the building, such as the fitted kitchen.

Since the distinction between movable and immovable is not always clear, it is advisable to have both insurance policies with the same provider. This eliminates the likelihood that both insurers will blame each other.

What does the insurance company pay?

The decisive factor is the agreed sum insured, which realistically represents the value of furniture, clothing, electrical appliances or jewelry. Since it is difficult for most people to make a precise assessment, insurers have made appraisal tables available online. As a guide, amounts between 600 and 850 euros per square meter of space apply. It is not recommended to set the sum insured lower than it corresponds to the real value. In the event of damage, only this amount will be reimbursed.

Is there a difference between a condominium and a rented apartment in the event of a break-in? In the event of a break-in, there is initially no difference. Those who rent also have to contact their own household insurance to settle the damage caused. This also applies to damaged windows and doors that surround the apartment.

However, there may be special cases here. In principle, the landlord’s building insurance does not cover any burglary damage. Damaged doors and windows can, however, be included as a component by the landlord.

How is the contribution for the household insurance made up?

The sum insured is an essential element here. It is made up of the value that the entire equipment of the apartment represents. It also depends on the size of the apartment and where you live. In some cities, burglaries are particularly frequent, which is noticeable in the amount of the contributions. However, there is the option of reducing the premium by making a deductible in the event of a claim.

What will be replaced in the event of a break-in?

The injured party usually receives the replacement value of the stolen items. For this reason, it is advisable to keep the bills, especially for high-quality and expensive equipment. Pictures are also helpful, as they make it easier to identify stolen property.

Are things only insured within the apartment?

No, items on the terrace, in the basement, the garage or in an outbuilding are also insured. For example, the expensive outdoor grill is insured, as is the lawn mower or patio furniture.

Are bicycles also insured?

If the bike was stolen from your own home during a break-in, it is definitely part of the damage amount. Most of the time, however, bicycles are outside the house or apartment. In addition to an often expensive bicycle insurance, there is also the option of protecting the bicycle with household insurance. This is often cheaper, but a lot depends on the value of the bike. It is important that the bike is always locked. If it wasn’t at the time of the theft, no insurance will pay.

What about vandalism?

After a break-in, apartments are usually badly devastated, and some things have been broken. This is also covered by the insurance.

What is the probability that the police will find the stolen items?

Relatively low. According to the data provider Statista, the clearance rate in Germany was 17.4 percent last year. For Thuringians, the chance of seeing their belongings again is the highest, and for Bremer the lowest. Most of the burglaries took place in Berlin last year, with almost 8,000 cases. In relation to the number of inhabitants, the most burglaries were in Bremen.

Is there a difference between burglary and robbery for insurance?

Whether or not someone was robbed under threat of violence while items were being stolen does not matter to insurers. It also doesn’t matter whether the injured party was at home during the break-in or not.

What if someone accidentally left the patio door tilted and the perpetrator got in?

The case is considered a classic for many break-ins. Then there is talk of gross negligence. Insurance customers should therefore ensure that there is a passage in their contracts according to which they will also be compensated in this case.

Is it compulsory to take out household insurance?

No, but it is part of the standard equipment that everyone should have. Because, for example, furnishings have a certain value for most people. In addition, the contents insurance also covers damage in the event of a water pipe burst or fire.

More: Insurance guide – which policies you really need and which you don’t. A dossier.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here