The Spanish Dani Sordo (Hyundai) won this Sunday, for the second consecutive year, the Rally of Sardinia, sixth of the eight rounds of the World Rally Championship (WRC), in a test in which his Belgian teammate Thierry Neuville was second and Frenchman Sébastien Ogier (Toyota) finished third.
Sordo saw his victory in jeopardy until the end, but managed to keep five seconds ahead of Neuville and six over Ogier, after three days of fierce fighting on these Sardinian tracks where he had already prevailed in 2019.
Neuville overtook Ogier in a second after the 16th and final special stage.
Drivers’ World Cup leader Elfyn Evans (Toyota) of Britain finished in fourth place, more than a minute behind Sordo, and retained his place as the number one candidate for the world title, with two rounds remaining to end the season.
Evans now has 111 points, 14 ahead of Ogier, 24 over Neuville, who climbed from fifth to third this weekend, and 28 over the Estonian Ott Tänak (Hyundai), current world champion.
After being delayed on Friday morning due to suspension problems, Tänak finished with a partial victory on the Power Stage (SS16), which yielded five bonus points in the championship.
There are two rallies left this season, in Belgium in November, around Ypres, and then near Milan in early December, at the Monza Rally, which was added on Friday to the schedule for this reduced 2020 season due to the pandemic of the new coronavirus.
– Final general classification of the Rally of Sardinia:
1. Dani Sordo-Carlos del Barrio (ESP / Hyundai i20) 2h41: 37.5
2. Thierry Neuville-Nicolas Gilsoul (BEL / Hyundai i20) a 5.1
3. Sébastien Ogier-Julien Ingrassia (FRA / Toyota Yaris) a 6.1
4. Elfyn Evans-Scott Martin (GBR / Toyota Yaris) and 1: 02.3
5. Teemu Suninen-Jarmo Lehtinen (FIN / Ford Fiesta) a 1: 33.9
6. Ott Tänak-Martin Järveoja (EST / Hyundai i20) a 2: 27.5
7. Pierre-Yves Loubet-Vincent Landais (FRA / Hyundai i20) at 4: 43.8
Best times in special stages: Sordo 5 (ES2, ES4, ES5, ES6, ES8), Ogier 6 (ES7, ES9, ES11, ES12, ES13, ES15), Neuville 2 (ES10 ES14), Suninen 1 (ES1), Evans 1 (ES3), Tänak 1 (ES16).
– Ranking of the Drivers’ World Cup:
1. Elfyn Evans (GBR / Toyota) 111 pts
2. Sébastien Ogier (FRA / Toyota) 97
3. Thierry Neuville (BEL / Hyundai) 87
4. Ott Tänak (EST / Hyundai) 83
5. Kalle Rovanperä (FIN / Toyota) 70