When it hit Netflix on October 2, Emily In Paris caused quite a stir among viewers. Some were fascinated by the settings and fashion presented by the fiction starring Lily Collins (the daughter of singer Phil Collins). Others were angered by how the stereotype of the Parisian is reflected.
Some media called this project the new Sex and the City and there are several points of contact between these stories. The two protagonists have a great passion for fashion. The cities where the characters are located are emblems of design. To that is added that Patricia Field, the costume designer of the fiction that Sarah Jessica Parker starred in, is also part of the project.
The controversy comes from the French. The critics from that country are not favorable. “The series could have been great had it not been for the caricature of the French. (…) they are described as arrogant, dirty, lazy, unpleasant, bitter … but fortunately this young American arrives to explain how life works ”, they say, for example, in the middle AlloCine. “It is simply deplorable, I wonder why French actors agreed to participate in the series,” adds the critic.
Ten, six filming curiosities
1) The series was filmed in its entirety in Paris, France, and the nearby Loire Valley. All the places that appear are authentic (there are no decorations).
2) Some members of the cast lived together during the filming. According Cosmopolitan, Lucas Bravo (Gabriel), Ashley Park (Mindy) and Samuel Arnold (Julien) moved into a house together.
3) The creator of the series Darren Star was inspired by his own experience for the script. As he explained to Forbes: “I’ve wanted to do a show about an expat for a long time. When I was 19, I did the whole backpacking tour of Europe over the summer, landed in Paris and fell in love with the city. And I thought it would be great to share that feeling with an audience and create a fiction that explored the general experience of what it is like to be an American abroad. ”
4) The name Emily, of the protagonist was –according to its creator- a choice that had to do with a nod to the film Amelie (2001). The loudness of both is similar.
5) To bring the protagonist to life in her body, Collins thought that Emily was “a fan of Sex & The City”. As the actress said in an interview with E !, thinking about the backstory, she imagined her child as “a girl who had grown up watching that fiction and who was very inspired by Carrie Bradshaw.” In fact, Emily’s jewelry is a nod to Carrie.
6) Emily’s outfits were also inspired by Audrey Hepburn. To the producers, Collins looks like the famous movie star, so they chose to dress her occasionally as a tribute to Hepburn in Funny Face.
7) Lucas Bravo, Emily’s heartthrob, is also a model actor. He has a contract with a major French agency, Viva Model Management. Thanks to that, it has been able to take part in advertising campaigns for large firms. Before turning to acting, she worked as a kitchen assistant at a food court. “When I got the script for this series, I thought, ‘Wow, this is definitely for me, I’m going to use my skills.”
8) In the story Emily does not speak French, but Collins does speak perfectly.
9) Emily’s boss in Chicago is played by Kate Walsh, the actress who played Hannah Baker’s mother in another hit Netflix series, For 13 reasons.
10) Emily’s best friend in France is Mindy, who wants to be a singer. Ashley Park, the actress who plays her, is. He starred in various Broadway musicals such as Mamma Mia!