Treat cystitis, relieve angina, reduce hormonal acne, stock up on antioxidants… Fireweed is a plant with multiple health benefits. We take stock of its benefits and its use, with Angélica Alcantara.
Fireweed (Epilobium parviflorum), is a herbaceous plant that measures between 30 and 40 centimeters in height, which has the particularity of having small hairy leaves and small pink flowers.
This plant, which is found in particular in Europe and which grows in temperate places, slightly in height, has the ability to develop in places which have caught fire, hence its name in English “fireweed” (grass of fire).
As’onagre, fireweed is part of the Onagracée family. There are around 28 different types of fireweed in Europe, but the most common ones are:
- l’Epilobium parviflorum, or fireweed
- l’Épilobium angustifolium or Laurier de Saint-Antoine, which is a little taller (about 1 meter high)
The benefits of these two plants are very similar and we use them the same way.
Cystitis, diarrhea, tonsillitis … The health benefits of fireweed
An effective anti-inflammatory
Rich in flavonoids (myricetin and quercetin), fireweed is a plant that helps fight inflammation in the body, when the immune system reacts.
A plant indicated in case of acne or other hormonal disturbances
This plant could be useful in the event of hormonal imbalance, responsible in particular in certain adults of problems ofhormonal acne, or polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Fireweed could improve symptoms caused by this excesshormones males (androgens).
We fill up on antioxidants
Consume to relieve cystitis
She is an ally in case of diarrhea or vomiting
This plant also has cleansing and soothing properties of the digestive system: in case of diarrhea or from vomiting, it can relieve theDigestive and help the body to recover from it more easily (it can be consumed in the event of tourista, for example).
Gargling to clear the ENT sphere
Note that fireweed is contraindicated, like many plants with powerful active ingredients, for a period of pregnancy and in lactating women.
Indications, dosage… How to use fireweed?
There are several ways to eat fireweed in the case of a urinary tract infection.
- Prepare herbal teas: infuse 1 tablespoon in a cup of boiling water for 10 minutes. Drink three cups a day for 3 weeks until symptoms improve (it is possible to repeat the intake the following month).
- Use a liquid extract: each day, mix 3 ml in a little water, then divide into two intakes during the day (1.5 ml in the morning and 1.5 ml at noon). Take until symptoms improve.
- Make a course of capsules (dry extract): take two capsules of fireweed, twice a day until symptoms improve.
For ENT disorders: rhinitis, tonsillitis or laryngite…
- Gargle with a fireweed infusion (infuse 1 tablespoon in a cup of boiling water, for 10 minutes, strain), several times a day.
- Wash your nose with this same mixture, once at room temperature, several times a day.
In case of hormonal imbalances responsible for hormonal acne, for example, consume herbal teas of fireweed, or the plant in the form of liquid extract or capsules in the same proportion indicated above, for 3 weeks per month, for at least at least 3 months.
Capsules, herbal tea, liquid extract… Where to buy fireweed?
To enjoy the benefits of fireweed, choose capsules, dried leaves or capsules from organic farming, or from wild French pickings
It is found in herbalists, in small producers of medicinal plants and in organic stores.
Thanks to Angélica Alcantara, Naturopath and Yoga Teacher (www.yoginaturo.com).
Read also :