Canadians take advantage of pandemic to reorient their careers

0
0
North American stock markets advanced early in the session


TORONTO – Faced with hiring freezes, pay cuts and layoffs, a number of Canadians have chosen to dramatically change their careers. Others emulated them after realizing that their current job did not provide the stability and flexibility needed to raise children.

According to an online survey of 3,000 Canadians conducted in November by the firm Morneau Shepell, 24% of respondents said the COVID-19 pandemic had led them to consider a job or career change.

Career counselor MaKenzie Chilton says she has been contacted by people from around the world since the start of the pandemic. Due to the economic downturn, more and more people are ready to consider bigger measures in terms of employment.

Video: Trudeau must ban non-essential international flights, says Legault (Le Devoir)

Trudeau must ban non-essential international flights, says Legault

  • COVID-19: The situation could get out of control in the country
    COVID-19: The situation could get out of control in the country
    Modeling data compiled by the Public Health Agency of Canada has government experts believe that the pandemic continues to gain strength in the country. This is the direct consequence of the gatherings that took place during the holiday break, analyze government experts. “If public health measures are not intensified, we will not be able to sufficiently slow the rate of epidemic growth,” warns Dr. Howard Njoo, deputy chief of federal public health. The situation is particularly critical in Quebec and Ontario. These two provinces which have implemented new health measures a week ago, which is welcomed by the federal government, although the effect of these measures must be measured later. For now, Dr. Njoo “hopes for Quebec that the curfew and other measures work. The federal authorities encourage the introduction of more restrictive sanitary measures.

    Le Devoir Logo: Le Devoir smallFavicon
    The duty

  • Doctors reassigned to help nurses
    Doctors reassigned to help nurses
    According to a letter obtained by Le Devoir, the Ministry of Health and Social Services encourages hospitals to entrust nurses to doctors available because of the load shedding. They could take vital signs “if necessary”, be accompanied by another doctor (not a nurse) when working with a patient, and “perform extended medical duties. According to the MSSS, 7,757 network workers are currently absent due to COVID-19. About 40% of them have the disease or are in the process of screening. The remaining 60% were withdrawn from work on a preventive basis. According to Dr. Mélissa Ranger, other scenarios are being studied to increase the nursing workforce in her hospital center. “We are trying to see if all the staff who have deserted the emergency room in the last months, the last years, if there is a way to rehire him,” said the doctor. This is also under discussion. For its part, the Federation of Specialist Physicians of Quebec (FMSQ) claims to have “invited its doctors to participate in the war effort”.

    Le Devoir logo: Le Devoir smallFavicon
    The duty

  • Quebec maintains the 90-day deadline for the vaccine
    Quebec maintains the 90-day deadline for the vaccine
    Quebec will continue to give the second dose of vaccine against COVID-19 within a maximum of 90 days, but agrees to relax its strategy. Some people may therefore receive this second injection sooner than the government has planned. “We aim to vaccinate as many people who can be vaccinated to save lives,” said the Minister of Health, Christian Dubé, at a press conference. The Minister also invited residents and staff in CHSLDs who have been vaccinated not to relax compliance with health measures at the risk of causing new outbreaks. Public Health now recommends that the government administer the second dose within 42 to 90 days. The goal remains to vaccinate as many people as possible vulnerable to this disease to save as many lives as possible. The government rejects the blame for the fact that it has to deal with “very little vaccine” and argues that the more doses it receives, the more it can reduce the time between inoculation of the two doses.

    Le Devoir logo: Le Devoir smallFavicon
    The duty

NEXT VIDEO

NEXT VIDEO

“In March, everyone was worried about their work because no one knew what was going on. Then, in June, it was a flood of people wanting to bring about change, ”she says.

This situation is also reflected in educational establishments. The Chang School of Continuing Education at Ryerson University, for example, says that enrollment in Spring / Summer 2020 semester courses increased 15% from 2019. The disaster management certificate programs and emergency, advanced safety and health studies were particularly popular.

Tara Deschamps, The Canadian Press

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here