Australia and Qatar cancel their participation in Copa America

0
0
HSV defends championship lead, bottom Würzburg wins







© Provided by APA



Australia and the next World Cup host Qatar will not take part in this year’s Copa America as planned. The two countries that were invited as guests to the South American soccer championship for national teams withdrew their commitment. World Cup qualifiers for the Asian Association (AFC) are planned for the same period, said the deputy head of the South American Association (Conmebol), Gonzalo Belloso, on Tuesday for the cancellations.

The Copa America had been postponed for a year due to the corona pandemic and will now take place from June 11 to July 11 in Argentina and Colombia with only ten teams. The opening game will take place in Argentina’s capital Buenos Aires and the final in Barranquilla on the Colombian Caribbean coast. According to Belloso, it should also be played in front of spectators if possible. At least 30 percent of the seats in the stadiums will be used, he said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here