With a view to the Russian troop movements near the Ukrainian border, NATO has made serious allegations against Moscow. The “destabilizing measures on the part of Russia” undermined all efforts to “de-escalate” the tensions in the framework of the OSCE-brokered ceasefire agreement of July 2020, a NATO spokesman for “Welt” said. The alliance will “continue to support the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine”.
The spokesman said the NATO allies met last Thursday in the format of the North Atlantic Council to exchange views on the current security environment on the Black Sea. “The Allies share concern about Russia’s large-scale military activities in and around Ukraine,” he said.
In the conflict over eastern Ukraine, which has been going on since 2014, more than 13,000 people were killed. In July of last year, the conflicting parties agreed on a ceasefire. Since mid-February, however, there has been increased fighting that undermines the already fragile ceasefire. Moscow and Kiev blame each other for this.
Fears of a further escalation of the conflict have recently grown. EU Foreign Affairs Representative Josep Borrell expressed concern on Sunday after a phone call with Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba on Twitter and assured Kiev of “steadfast EU support for the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine”. Germany and France, who are trying to find a solution to the Ukraine conflict within the framework of the so-called Normandy format, made similar statements. British Prime Minister Boris Johnson had also expressed concern and assured the Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky that Great Britain would have “unlimited support”.